Zodlikeproductions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc.

+14
Böhse Tante
ShockJock
Kentus
hillbilly
Pirata
N.O.S.
KneelB4Zod!
Stand_Sure_Anderson
FoShizzle
Libertine
Gavin
Matjaz
Mr Badger
The Original Mind
18 posters

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. Empty The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc.

Post by The Original Mind Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 pm

"Heed Evacuation Order Or Face Arrest" - Hawaii Eruption Begins More Violent Phase

In the four weeks since Hawaii's Kilauea volcano began erupting, over 80 homes and other structures have been destroyed, and it appears by warnings from local authorities, that the eruption is moving to a more dangerous phase.

And as Fox News reports, as that molten lava continued spewing, Hawaii County ordered all residents of a designated portion of the hard-hit Leilani Estates development to evacuate by Friday morning or face possible arrest.

Big Island Mayor Harry Kim declared a roughly 17-block swath of the estates “off limits indefinitely” and gave residents 24 hours to get out by 12:06 p.m. local time Friday, Reuters reported.

Those remaining in the mandatory evacuation area beyond the deadline “do so at their own risk, with the knowledge that emergency responders may not respond,” the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency said in a statement.

The county agency also said anyone in violation of the order will be liable for any costs associated with rescue operations.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-01/heed-evacuation-order-or-face-arrest-hawaii-eruption-begins-more-violent-phase?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29
The Original Mind
The Original Mind

Back to top Go down

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. Empty Re: The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc.

Post by The Original Mind Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Southwest drought worsens as hot June weather arrives

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/southwest-drought-worsens-as-hot-weather-arrives-heat-united-states-four-corner-states-rivers-drying-up-utah-arizona-colorado-new-mexico-high-temperatures-precipitation-wildfire-outlook/102832

Back to top Go down

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. Empty Re: The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc.

Post by The Original Mind Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Thousands of acres ablaze in Colorado, New Mexico

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/02/us/wildfires-colorado-new-mexico/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Hawaii volcano eruption: Scientists ALARMED as drone reveals mysterious CRACKS in Kilauea

A drone mission has alarmed scientists monitoring the erupting Hawaii volcano, which has become one of the world’s most dangerous and volatile sites.

Kilauea has shocked the world with streams of lava swallowing houses and giant fissures opening up across Hawaii.

The latest aerial drone footage of the volcano has revealed dramatic changes within the volcano spotted at one of Kilauea's main craters

There are new alarming cracks and fault seen in a collapsed crater, some of which are spewing with intense steam.

Scientists are concerned that an "expanding collapsed crater" and the debris blocking the vent could trigger a massive explosion.

The Halema‘uma‘u crater has undergone a sudden transformation since the eruptions began in early May, including the surprising disappearance of a lava lake.

The drone footage from the US Geological Survey (USGS) shows "yellow sulfur substance on the rubble-covered floor and a scattering of large ballistic blocks around the crater rim".

USGS officials revealed that the empty vent once housed a 12-acre lava lake up until a few weeks ago.

The vent is currently empty of lava and has been stretched to massive 100-acres.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/968525/Hawaii-volcano-eruption-drone-aerial-footage-cracks-Kilauea-lava-magma

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm

More on the crater cracks:

Hawaii Volcano Update: Scientists Baffled Over Mysterious Cracks In Kilauea Crater

“It’s possible that new explosions will blast through the rubble at the bottom of the vent, and these may or may not be larger than previous explosions,” said USGS geophysicist Kyle Anderson. “It’s also possible that the vent could become permanently blocked, ending the explosions entirely.”

The steady collapse of the crater's internal walls due to draining magma has also enlarged the mouth of the vent considerably - which has grown from 12 acres to 120 acres. The summit itself has also sunken at least five feet in elevation while magma levels continue to drop.

Meanwhile, Hawaii's Highway 137 has been blocked by lava, cutting off access to Kapoho, Vacationland, Hwy 132 and possibly the Puna Geothermal power plant.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-03/hawaii-volcano-update-scientists-baffled-over-mysterious-cracks-kilauea-crater?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks for the thread!
We've already had a very early start to the thunderstorm season in the UK, with very hot and humid weather, hope to catch some decent lightning photography this year.
Every year has been great so far since I moved to the South coast as we catch the continental storms from across the Channel.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Mr Badger wrote:Thanks for the thread!
We've already had a very early start to the thunderstorm season in the UK, with very hot and humid weather, hope to catch some decent lightning photography this year.
Every year has been great so far since I moved to the South coast as we catch the continental storms from across the Channel.

No worries. Feel free to add updates as often as you want. I don't plan to update this with every tiny thing that happens around the world (e.g. the earthquake thread on GLP), but will post anything interesting/potentially dangerous that I come across.

We've had a crazy start to summer here in Michigan. Coldest April on record followed by hottest May on record. I think April (or May?) was also the wettest on record. Overcast and chilly right now, so perfect weather for me.
The Original Mind
The Original Mind

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm

The Hidden One wrote:

No worries. Feel free to add updates as often as you want. I don't plan to update this with every tiny thing that happens around the world (e.g. the earthquake thread on GLP), but will post anything interesting/potentially dangerous that I come across.

We've had a crazy start to summer here in Michigan. Coldest April on record followed by hottest May on record. I think April (or May?) was also the wettest on record. Overcast and chilly right now, so perfect weather for me.

Coldest April here since the Mid 1800s, one week we're trampling through snow, the next we're in t-shirts.

Eastbourne caught a lovely mcs the other night, a month or two early, I just hope it's a sign of a good year for storms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Good idea for a thread but I fear there's not enough of us here. Place looks kinda slow last few days :/

I'll be updating this one with some nice shots if nothing else when opportunity arise Smile
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Mr Badger wrote:
The Hidden One wrote:

Coldest April here since the Mid 1800s, one week we're trampling through snow, the next we're in t-shirts.

Eastbourne caught a lovely mcs the other night, a month or two early, I just hope it's a sign of a good year for storms.

Our April was the hottest in decades this year. We had summer temperatures in April, very strange.
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gavin Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Southern parts of Norway has temperatures over 32 deg C today, while up north the forecast for the next few days are snow and sleet even down to sea level.
Gavin
Gavin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 am

Here's one of the pics I took last July from Pevensey Bay, Sussex. Cracking storm Smile

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. <a href=The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. _dsc0110" />

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 am

Wow!! Great catch of the lightning, moar!
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:58 am

Matjaz wrote:Wow!! Great catch of the lightning, moar!

Thanks Matjaz Very Happy

Well, here's another two pics of the same storm, here you can see it was clearly a rotating cell with some suspicious lowerings that could have been wall clouds (also visible in previous pic)

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. _dsc0112[/url][/img]

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. _dsc0111[/url][/img]

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:11 am

How do you make those red car lines, I always wonder this, is there a technique for it? I'm seriously thinking on buying some simple camera not too cheap but a modest one for beginners. 

Great clouds on first picture, weather like this always gives me a boost.
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertine Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am

Great topic. Fantastic photographs. I love a good storm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 am

Libertine wrote:Great topic. Fantastic photographs. I love a good storm.
Its nothing like it in the summer. A strong charger cell, when the air is really electrified just before the storm and when you get shocked from electricity just by touching the pipes in the house. Smile
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 am

Matjaz wrote:How do you make those red car lines, I always wonder this, is there a technique for it? I'm seriously thinking on buying some simple camera not too cheap but a modest one for beginners. 

Great clouds on first picture, weather like this always gives me a boost.

It's just a case of holding the shutter open for a period of time. This was a 20 second exposure at f8, ISO 400.

I didn't originally want any cars tail-lights in the picture, but decided afterwards that it didn't look too bad after all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gavin Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 am

Winter conditions at 500 meter elevation in the northern part of Norway on June 4, 2018.

Forecast is for the snow to go down to sea level over the next day or two.

The Weather Thread - Hurricanes, Storms, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Solar Storms, etc. Winter10[/url]
Gavin
Gavin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Matjaz wrote:Good idea for a thread but I fear there's not enough of us here. Place looks kinda slow last few days :/

I'll be updating this one with some nice shots if nothing else when opportunity arise Smile

Well like I said, I don't expect this thread to garner the kinda of constant updates found in GLP threads. But anything important or dangerous that people see can be posted here rather than in separate threads.

I see this forum more as a gathering place for like minded, level-headed people. It'll only gather small numbers (though I'm contacting some people and trying to get them over here).
The Original Mind
The Original Mind

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Anonymous wrote:Another Guatemala volcano pyroclastic flow vid:

[img]https://twitter.com/Matthew__Watson/status/1003404702350966785

Anonymous wrote:Guatemala volcano:

BBC: Entire villages feared to be buried

Some victims of the volcano's pyroclastic flow: [img]https://twitter.com/IsisRam17/status/1003465702722998272

Back to top Go down

Post by FoShizzle Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Nice shots, Mr B!

Here in Virginia we've had horrendous flooding and storms. My town got 10" of rain Thursday night, and my sun porch roof sprung a leak. I put two 5 gallon buckets under the leaks, and they were both overflowing when I got up. Today is the first sunny day in a week. It's also been unseasonably warm. We went from snow one day, to 95 and humid the next (that's 35C).
FoShizzle
FoShizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Badger Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm

FoShizzle wrote:Nice shots, Mr B!

Here in Virginia we've had horrendous flooding and storms.  My town got 10" of rain Thursday night, and my sun porch roof sprung a leak.  I put two 5 gallon buckets under the leaks, and they were both overflowing when I got up.  Today is the first sunny day in a week.  It's also been unseasonably warm.  We went from snow one day, to 95 and humid the next (that's 35C).  

Ten inches of rain? Cripes! I've seen some downpours but nothing like that!

Back to top Go down

Post by FoShizzle Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Mr Badger wrote:

Here in Virginia we've had horrendous flooding and storms.  My town got 10" of rain Thursday night, and my sun porch roof sprung a leak.  I put two 5 gallon buckets under the leaks, and they were both overflowing when I got up.  Today is the first sunny day in a week.  It's also been unseasonably warm.  We went from snow one day, to 95 and humid the next (that's 35C).  

I haven't seen anything that bad before, either. We've had 4" of rain in one night before, but 10 was scary. And we'd already had rain all week up to that point! There was nowhere for the water to go. Crazy times we live in.
FoShizzle
FoShizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 pm

FoShizzle wrote:
Mr Badger wrote:

I haven't seen anything that bad before, either.  We've had 4" of rain in one night before, but 10 was scary.  And we'd already had rain all week up to that point! There was nowhere for the water to go.  Crazy times we live in.  

That is insane! Did it blow in from the Midwest or the Atlantic? We've had some pretty heavy rain, but even we haven't had that much in one day recently.
The Original Mind
The Original Mind

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:38 pm

69 dead due to Guatemala volcano

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44363444

Back to top Go down

Post by The Original Mind Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:39 pm

500+ earthquakes hit Hawaii in last day

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38310826/45-magnitude-quake-rattles-big-island-no-tsunami-generated

Back to top Go down

Post by Matjaz Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:42 pm

We just had hailstorm here, I had to hide under the drive way in my car for thirty minutes thinking about my garden back home it was nerve wracking. When I got home I found my champion weed on the ground from wind and hailstorm but nothing was broken and leaves ares still intact. Dirt all over though Sad She'll survive.
Matjaz
Matjaz

Back to top Go down

Post by FoShizzle Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 pm

The Hidden One wrote:
FoShizzle wrote:
Mr Badger wrote:

I haven't seen anything that bad before, either.  We've had 4" of rain in one night before, but 10 was scary.  And we'd already had rain all week up to that point! There was nowhere for the water to go.  Crazy times we live in.  

That is insane! Did it blow in from the Midwest or the Atlantic? We've had some pretty heavy rain, but even we haven't had that much in one day recently.

Sorry, work got nuts yesterday afternoon. Smile I think it was from TS Alberto initially, but then we had another system join it from the Midwest later in the week.
FoShizzle
FoShizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by FoShizzle Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Matjaz wrote:We just had hailstorm here, I had to hide under the drive way in my car for thirty minutes thinking about my garden back home it was nerve wracking. When I got home I found my champion weed on the ground from wind and hailstorm but nothing was broken and leaves ares still intact. Dirt all over though Sad  She'll survive.

Wow! Glad you're okay. It is awful being stuck in a car in the hail.
FoShizzle
FoShizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next